Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snow

It snowed in Atlanta this afternoon . . . actually, it was more like snow flurries. However, people are freaking out. Around 5PM when it started "snowing" there were people chatting in the hallway of my office about how bad it was and how concerned they were about getting home. I received at least a dozen emails/calls from students (I teach M/W at 5:30 & 7:15p) asking if class was canceled. The RE: line in one email read: Blizzard....do we have class? Less than half of the students showed up during my 5:30 class. I'm guessing I'll have fewer attend my 7:15 class.

Seriously, it's not bad here. It's not really even snowing. The wind is blowing around the little bit of snow that is kinda falling. These people are crazy.

In their defense though, I guess this is the first time it has snowed in years, and the city does not have salt trucks and other equipment to deal with snow.

I'm a Northern Boy in the South

5 comments:

hairplane said...

Ha! Thats hysterical... I think you should show up for class in a faux fur lined parka and pair of Uggs... And just be like, "What? It's cold up in here beeyotch".

Scootking said...

I'm with hairplane, rock the Uggs and they will really get a crush on you!

pixelville said...

love the subject line on that kid's email. might as well have read, "Please...I'm pathetic and desperate and begging for permission to skip class."

funny.
seriously.

G said...

Southerners are afraid of snow.

dirty di said...

reminds me of 8th grade in Hawaii. Supposedly a huge tidal wave was going to hit the island so they cancelled school and work and than the tidal wave was only 2 inches. So the next day at school some of the students were saying they didn't finish their paper on time because of the tidal wave.

I guess students are lazy no matter the context.